Thursday

GOOSEBUMPS...



CEO Domo here...

When I watched the above video this morning, I felt an enormous sense of pride to be an African American man. As the title of this post states, I got goosebumps at the site of all those people, of all races, colors, and creed, announce "I" in support of Barack Obama. It was less than 150 years ago that slavery was abolished. It was about 50 years ago that America's schools were desegragated. And now, we have a a Black man running for president? I remember when I was younger that when a Black child answered the question of"What do you want to be when you grow up?" with "I want to be president of the United States!", people awed and smiled at the thought, but no one really believed it. But, today, well last night, that hopeless dream was given the chance to become a reality.

Now, I must say, Barack Obama is great, not just because he is Black. His skin color goes a long way and expalins his charisma, swagger, and confidence. But, the real reason that he is great is because he changed the mindset of a generation. Take a minute to let it soak in. Changed the mindset of a GENERATION! Excuse my language, but who the FUCK does that anymore? Since the civil rights movement, there hasn't been another movement or progression in American culture until now. We had gotten comfortable with how things were. We made a giant leap but never continued making steps toward true equality. That is until now. If Barack Obama is elected into the presidency, I hope Black people all over the world realize that the saying "Nothing is impossible" is an aphorism, or fact of life and I hope that white people will realize that we are all not thugged out, basketball playing, fried chicken eating, dummies, who rap and drive cars with spinning rims. I hope that we will finally be able to get out of that corner that we have been painted into by the media and ourselves, really. As the future leaders of this country, it is time for all of us to assume the responsibility. Most of you all reading this are at least 18 years old and in college. I'm 20 years old and I go to Temple University, a predominantly white university, and I own a business. I, as all of us are, am a product of the struggle that our parents experienced and made it through. They have carried us a long way, but it is our time now. Go read a book, get involved in politics, save some of that loan money, buy a house without a subprime mortgage, correct that bad ass kid on your block, and give back to your commnities. It is really our world now. Don't you want to leave a legacy of your own?

Tonight, Barack Obama, the first African American to ever have a serious chance of becoming President of the United States, will accept the nomination from the Democratic party LIVE from Mile High Stadium in Denver, Colorado on the 45th Anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream Speech" and the March on Washington. Just as Dr. King professed, we are on our way to the "promised land." He won't physically get there with us, but in a way, he will because we each carry a little bit of him inside of us. I employ all of you to watch history unfold tonight on CNN at 10pm. I'm sure that you will be getting goosebumps of your own.



Konnoisseur...Being inspired to aspire!

1 comment:

Milah.b said...

omg.
First of all, Domo, I just want to acknowledge you really quick on your writing ability.

You really blew me away.

Second, goosebumps are an understatement, I got chills, blood ran cold, head started spinning - all that. I'm ready.

Lets make this world OURS. Thats the way it supposed to be anyway.

-Kamilah Benjamin