
Good Morning bloggers...
A lot of you have been tuning in to CNN for the past two days because of their recent documentary, Black in American. This documentary is igniting some intense conversations throughout the Black community. Last night, while checking my facebook I happen to run up on a controversial note written by a Morehouse bro of mine, Turner Coggins, entitled "Blacks in Education."
Check it out...Turner writes:
"If I may argue a point, HBCU’s are a dying breed, for several reasons. First majority schools (white schools) are attempting to take the cream of the crop, this is not new to our community, when we were transported here from Africa they took the cream of the crop, when they bought and sold us here in America they purchased the cream of the crop, when they lynched or killed an African American for speaking up or opposing white oppression they killed the cream of the crop. Leading up to the present day, since the early 20th century majority schools have continued their efforts to steal the elite from our community, a student with a 3.5 GPA and a strong a SAT can attend any number of majority colleges in our nation because those are the colleges with the resources to pay. I’m not mad at or jealous of the students who choose to go to majority colleges, education is essential and if someone offers to pay for it, i say go to where the money is. I’m mad at the black colleges for not providing for their community. Black schools need to lower their prices and provide more scholarship for a demographic that is ranked at the bottom of nearly every statistic imaginable, income, life expectancy, test scores. Obviously blacks are going to need more assistance when it comes to paying for school, so why is it that white schools are offering to ease the burdens of a black seeking and education rather than our HBCU’s. One hundred years ago nearly 100 percent of blacks that went to college attended a HBCU, we are no where close to that number today. So what’s the problem? Morehouse tuition went up two grand this past year, WHY? So that we can have the facilities similar to a Georgia Tech or a UGA, I don’t care about that extra stuff I’m going to college for an excellent education not a pretty building or luxury dorms. If the teacher writes on a black board rather than a smart board, it doesn’t bother me because I know a brother or sister of mine was able attend the school because it was more affordable. For all the haters that say the quality of education at a Black School is inferior to the Quality of education at a white schools show me the proof. USnews will tell you the number one college is an Ivy League school, if you check black enterprise’s rankings a HBCU will be listed as number one. But it seems today blacks always want approval from white America, but I will save that conversation for another day. God Bless America. OBAMA 08. Get out and Vote. "
Care to share your opinion on the subject?
3 comments:
this isssue of funding for HBCUs is based on economics. yes there is govt funding but a lot of these majority schools will have multi million dollars deeds and the alums of the majority schools also give back millions where as a lot of HBCUs dont have these resources, yes there are rich blacks but how many give back and how many of them attended a HBCU, yes i think there should be more scholarships provided by the school for those who attend, but who will pay for it if the school itself doesnt get enough govt funding compared to majority schools, also on CNN black in america isnt rely anything new cuz it doesnt offer a solution i think we talk A LOT about the issue but do nothing
Personally, I chose to attend a majority school because that's what the real world consists of. And by saying that I mean, when you go into the work force, everyone is not going to be black, so in order to prepare myself for a work world that is not minority, I chose to surround myself and compete with the same majority that I would be competing with once I left college. It has nothing to do with "seeking the approval of whites". But the point about funding is valid. I hear about mostly athletic scholarships, but not academic scholarships in the HBCU'S, but that's only what I hear about.
as a student of a HBCU..((hampton university)) i think the tuition prices are crazy!!! hampton goes up every single yr...and i am one of those ppl who cannot afford to go to this but im puttin myself in debt jus so i can get the best education i can...im a pharmacy major and hampton has one of the best pharmacy schools in the country...and i cant lie i did want to go to an hbcu..i understand that the real world is not all black but goin to a black school i have more opportunities to learn about my people and its empowering to me to see people who look like me all reaching for the same goal...but tuition is a bitch! lol
Post a Comment